In 1956, Joan Miró settled his final residence in Cala Mayor. At that time, none of the numerous blocks of flats, which nowadays surround the Fundació, had been built yet. Miró’s Studio has been designed by the renowned Catalan modern architect Josep Lluis Sert. Joan Miró bequeathed a part of his property to the town of Palma. In 1981 the Foundation has been created.
In 1983, five years after the death of the artist, Pilar Juncosa, Miró’s widow, donated 39 Gouache-paintings to the town of Palma. These were auctioned at Sotheby’s in London and the obtained profit has been used to finance the construction of the building on the Territorio Miró. Nowadays, the Museum Fundació Pilar y Joan Miró is considered to be a dynamic modern cultural centre. It presents a permanent exhibition of Miró’s work, as well as temporary exhibitions dedicated mainly to young artists. The Fundació also organizes workshops for children and young talents. The studio of Joan Miro is, of course, one of the main attractions for visitors.