The Sant Salvador sanctuary was built in 1348 by order of King Pedro IV of Aragon and in veneration of an unknown statue of the virgin. In the 16th the hermitage became a place of pilgramage for the Marianism cult and, around the same time, a grammar school was built.
The monastery and its church constantly fell prey to attacks and plundering by pirates and had to be rebuilt several times. Thanks to more pilgrims viisting the site, lodgings were built in the 18th century and in 1824, the hermits of the religious orders of Saint Peter and Saint Paul stayed here.
The most impressive part of the monastery is the entrance gate which is decorated with a reproduction of the Last Supper the origianl of which is at the Portal el Mirador – Viewpoint Portal – of the Cathedral of Palma. The baroque high altar of the church was made by the sculptor Pere Coronero, from Valencia. In one side chapel, there is a gothic altar from the 15th century which has many figures representing scenes from the life of Christ..
Situated behind the Monastery of Lluc, the Hermitage of San Salvador is the second most important pilgrimage place on Mallorca and is a very popular tourist attraction as you can tell from the large quantity of buses that are parked there. The sale of souvenirs and small figures of the Virgin and saints is a profitable business for the monks.
The view from the Puig de San Salvador – hill of San Salvador – is impressive: there is the Sierra de Tramontana – Tramuntana mountain range – to the west, the City of Palma to the south Cabrera to the southeast and directly below the monastery, the central plain of Mallorca can be seen. Finally to the north, the ports of Pollensa and Alcudia can be seen in the distance and the island of Formentor.